Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Game Design

 The aim of this weeks reading was to understand what a game is and what are the elements that make it a game. I read the paper "what is a game anyway?", I'm this reading it broadly answered that question. It explained the definitions of a game and then proceeded to explain the weakness in these definitions and how different people may interpret them. It played out the criteria of a basic game, what rules and motivation is needed for the participants to play. I then read and followed along with the "Lets make a game" segment of the reading which did what it intended to do and get me over my initial fear of being unable to create a game. It helped me create the most basic game. I went a step further and did my own research and ready this page on what's the difference between games and puzzles, as I have always roped them into the one category.The table clearly lays out the difference.

 I also read "Four basic methods for Generating Ideas" This was a useful reading as it explained the step by step process of how to generate a game idea. Which four simple methods

  •  Concentration "You merely think until you have an idea"
  • Brainstorming "it is essential that the group of people for the brainstorming be as diverse as possible"
  • Scamper "set of techniques that the game designer changes in turn until he finds his idea'
  • Ramsey " take a significant amount of information and start looking at it closely and manically, you can find new information or find inconspicuous links"


video game genres

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ellen! I really liked reading your blog post on Games Design. This blog post you wrote is very well written because it is short and straight to the point. I like how you included the four basic methods for generating ideas and also defining them. I like the image you used too as it shows multiple genres of games :)

    ReplyDelete