Monday, October 12, 2020

Game Idea Research

Critical Analysis:

In our readings this week (here) we learned about critical analysis and how it can be used to break down the atomic elements of each game and analysis it to find what works and what doesn't. I thought it would be useful to start why each of the three game ideas that I spoke about in my "Game Brainstorm" blog wouldn't work and what I can take from each game idea and incorporate it into my final design. In my develop paragraph I will go on to explain why I chose the game idea I did. 

Princess Peach
Game one: My first idea was basically "a princess who travels across her kingdom dodging evil little minions collecting Books from an old secret library full of knowledge and spells along the way" I toke inspiration for this idea from the Mario franchise as they have created my favourite games But when my lecturer read my idea and gave me feedback he mentioned that it was a bit ambitious to create in just a few weeks and that I might not get it done on time. Thankfully I wasn't going to pursue this idea because I would have been setting myself up for failure but iv full dibs on the idea incase I decide to pursue it in the future. 

Game two: My second game idea was based on a building blocks game in the style of Minecraft where you can pick up and place down blocks. I wanted to incorporate puzzles in the game somehow. I want to take the Minecraft controls as inspiration for my finale design.

wii sport resort
Game four: I really liked the idea of game four but I do think a lot of my other class mates will have similar style and similar concept. It is just a simple airplane game where the player controls the plane and collects something a dodges something else, this will definitely be my back up idea if I can't execute my hopefully finale design. 



Develop:
The game I decided to continue to create and develop is game three. "The aim of the game would be to plant seeds water them and grow flowers to then sell them maybe, with the money you could buy different seeds.The player will be able to control the gardeners movements to walk around, place the seeds where they want, pick up the watering can, collect the flowers ext". I wasn't expecting to like this idea so much, It has no real aims, time pressure or bad guys. Its slower pace and you can't really loose but when I got my feed back and my lecturer mentioned we used games as a distraction I gave it more thought. We use books puzzles and tv as a form of escapism, to relax and enjoy, not everyone enjoys the loud violent games and that's the audience I would like to cater too.    

Game Elements
  • Character: A young women gardener.
    Gardening
  • Objectives/Goals: To take care and grow plants.
  • Rules: Keep the flowers alive.
  • Information: It's a single player game and they see the complete game state.
  • Sequencing: This game will be in realtime and the player can take their actions as they wish as it is a single player games so there is no turns. They must just react when necessery.
  • Player Interaction: There will be no player interaction.
  • Theme/Setting: The Games location is a simple broad patch of grass with a sunny blue sky. The player is a gardener who's aim is to plant and grow flowers.


Plan:
I plan to create a step by step nine weeks plan when we first start creating our game ideas. This period of time is going to fly in with all my other assignments so I want to have a schedule so I don't fall behind or run out of time. I have simplified my idea and I will have done a lot of prep and plan work before I actually start to make my game so this shouldn't be a problem .





5 comments:

  1. Hey Ellen, Some great game ideas you have I really enjoyed the first one and the third one. I think it’s a great idea and sounds like a game I would enjoy myself. I tend to gravitate more towards slow paced games. I’m excited to see how your game turns out, best of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellen! Love the idea of the growing plants. I definitely it'll be nice and calming during this absolutely chaotic time. I like that it's based in real time too! I like that it's simple but also enjoyable. Have you thought about adding things like the watering can has a timer to refill? It might encourage people more to come back every so often. Also will you have different plant and flower options for the player, or will they just be given a garden already put together or a set amount of seeds? Will it be grid based? Sorry if that's a lot of questions, I think the game is really interesting so I can't wait to see it's outcome! I also like your point about using games to distract ourselves, I definitely agree. Regardless of the game's objective, it's still something to consume our time and keep us busy. Excited to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't thought that far into it but thank you for the questions it has given me some inspiration!!

      Delete
  3. Hey Ellen, you have some really good ideas here for your game, they seem like fun ideas and they might be very doable within the time frame we have to produce a well rounded game. I like the first one, seems like a game I'd enjoy myself. I'm excited to see how your game turn out, good lucks.

    ReplyDelete